Day 7: Friday, August 9...and the Weekend of August 10 & 11
Assignment: Clean and Declutter Your Room & Collect Paint Chips
So far, we've been being quite cerebral about our Style Cure room refresh. Thinking about our personal style, gathering inspiration, making floorplans, learning about color - lots of stuff in our heads and nothing to really get our hands dirty. Well, get ready to get more physical! It's time to roll up your sleeves...
This Weekend's Assignments:
• Deep Clean Your Room and Use the Outbox: I know, i know. Not the top of the list of how to spend time on a summer weekend, but it has lots of benefits. Spending time cleaning and decluttering your room will not only make the rest of the time spent working on the room more pleasant, efficient and successful, it will also be a source of ideas for the room refresh. While you work, stay aware. What works, what doesn't? What areas are dark or cluttered? What's worn out and needs replacing? Is it easy to move through the space? Think of it as cleaning with an investigative twist!
Here is a checklist of chores to complete. Adjust for your particular room and dance along with some awesome music to stay motivated!
- Declutter! Clear off those surfaces and over-crowded storage spots - make good use of your outbox.
- Floors: Clean them completely. Vacuum, sweep, mop, dry mop, scrub! This step puts you in touch with the space and makes a HUGE difference in how the room feels and will also help you when it comes to space planning.
- Clean Furniture, Appliances, Fixtures and Cabinetry: Depending on the room, this can be about beds, sofas, refrigerators or toilets. The idea is to truly clean all the big items in the space. Move furniture to clean under things, vacuum upholstery, wipe down furniture legs and polish wood. Clean your fridge, stove, sink and cabinet doors. Scrub your tub, toilet, sink and clean the mirror. You get the idea :)
- Surfaces: Dust, spray, shine.
- Windows: Use a vinegar solution and newspaper or whatever your preferred glass-cleaning method - totally up to you, but get them gleaming.This is hard work, so let's support each other in the comments. Check in, ask for help (or give it!) and be sure to let us know how your cleaning session went and how you feel about the room now that it's done. If we stick together we can all get this important step done.
- Collect Paint Chips: If painting is part of your Style Cure (we've built in a full weekend to do it - see the calendar for timing), now is the time to gather the sample chips. Find an hour or so today or over the weekend to get out to the store(s) and pick up chips. This is fun and NOT in stone at this point. It's about collecting options. Don't stress, think about your interview, style research results and inspiration photos, as well as Maxwell's color lessons and go for it. The more the merrier! Then, come home and be sure to tell us all in the comments (and link if possible!) what chips you are considering.
Join The Style Cure: Click Here to Sign Up
Questions? Comments? Pictures? Email us about your progress at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get the Book: Apartment Therapy's The Eight Step Home Cure by Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan
Follow and contribute on Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter! The Style Cure: #stylecure
(Image: Gregory Sparks / Stefanie & Mike's Heavenly Hollywoodland Home)